Thursday, October 30, 2008

Wait a Minute....

Yesterday I was reminded of my recent post about my dislike of policies that encourage gender parity based on something other than ability. Yesterday I was very honored to receive an email informing me that I had been nominated by a student to receive a distinguished teacher award. It was great to get some positive feedback so I was happy as I read the email. That is until I read this:

The nomination of women and minority faculty is strongly encouraged

Sigh....and that kind of ruined it for me :(

6 comments:

Ame said...

i'm sorry ;(

you do deserve it, i'm sure ... but it's sad to think there's the possibility that it's b/c you're a woman rather than b/c you're an excellent prof

Learner said...

Thanks Ame.

Anakin Niceguy said...

Good point, Learner.

I believe the feminists have gotten more pro-leftist than pro-woman. When you think about, quotas are ultimately insulting to women and minorities. It's like saying "Not bad ... for a woman."

Learner said...

Exactly Anakin, exactly.

Elusive Wapiti said...

Kinda takes the shine off of the award, doesn't it?

At least you have the integrity to separate an award given to you because of merit from an award given to you because of accident of birth.

Now that I think about it, the phrase "the nomination of women and minorities is strongly encouraged" is actually a sexist and racist slam. Ironically promulgated by women and melanin-equipped peeps. Basically it implies that women and minorities are not expected to be worthy of an award, thus nominators need to be 'reminded' to tender an award for them.

Learner said...

Basically it implies that women and minorities are not expected to be worthy of an award, thus nominators need to be 'reminded' to tender an award for them.

Yep, it is insulting.