Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Something Different: Roasted Beets

There seems to be so much turmoil in the world right now with the presidential election, the economy and so on. So, for a change of pace I'm going to write about something peaceful and comforting...cooking! I like to cook, especially for other people, I find cooking calming and it makes me happy to offer something pleasing to other people. So lets think happy thoughts!

I like to cook seasonal foods, so in the Fall I like to cook things like soup, or anything with pumpkin or apples, or roasted vegetables. Yesterday I bought some fresh beets because I wanted to try roasting them. So tonight, I cut off the greens:

I threw the greens away like the Yankee I am (sorry Jonathan!), and washed and trimmed the beets. Then I tossed them with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper and roasted them at 350 for about an hour and 15 minutes, or until they were fork tender.


They were good, but I think they would be better if I cooked them at a higher temperature.
What are your favorite Fall recipes?

6 comments:

Jonathan said...

That's OK. I've never tried beet greens. Sounds like an interesting project for me to investigate though! Why do you think a higher temperature would have been better? To bring out the sugars more? Were the beets sweet, savory, or something in between?

Jonathan said...

I have recently made a mess (a very precise Southern measurement) of mustard greens and a mess of turnip greens. I preferred the mustard greens. They are milder. The best part, though, was the cornbread I made. It is also getting close to chicken and dumplings time. Not quite cool enough yet, though!

Learner said...

Jonathan,

I think a higher temperature would have made them a bit sweeter...they were a bit bland. Some of the recipies I saw online called for garlic but as much as I like garlic it just does not seem to go with beets, you know?

I think tomorrow I'm going to make creamy carrot soup! :)

Ame said...

hummm ... anything i don't have to make and listen to my children say, "EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!" ... preferably, during this season in my life, something delicious and flavorful and healthy that someone else made for me ... and left the extra's too ;)

i know ... not the answer you were looking for ... there was a time when i could have answered this in an intelligent way ... then i had kids with lots of allergies and huge sensory issues, and cooking has become one of my VERY LEAST FAVORITE things to do EVER!!!!!

oh, but my girls WILL eat cornbread made with sugar!!!

Learner said...

Oh Ame, what do you do about that? Do you cook the same things over and over?

Ame said...

honestly ... i pray that God would help me come up with something to feed my kids ... if all else fails, there are protein bars and cheeze its. golly gee ... i SWORE i would NEVER do these things as a mother!!!

***warning ... NEVER sware you will NEVER do anything as a parent ... it WILL come back to kick you in the butt!!!!!!!