Monday, March 16, 2009

Father and daughter bonding

A conversation with my father on the occasion of my birthday.

Learner's Dad: One day you're deciding what color lipstick to wear and before you know it you're 40.

Learner: I'm 43 now Daddy (Yes, I call him Daddy. What of it?)

Learner's Dad: You're 43?

Learner: Yep

Learner's Dad: 43? When are you getting married?

Learner: I don't know. Gotta meet someone before I can marry them.

Learner's Dad: Your mother and I met a guy.

Learner: Oh? Where?

Learner's Dad: One of the home care nurses.

Learner: Oh yeah?

Learner's Dad: Really nice guy...and funny. A bit older than you. You'd like him.

Learner: You think so?

Learner's Dad: Yeah. But, he may be gay or married.

It took my Dad a minute to think that was as funny as I did.

8 comments:

Kathy Farrelly said...

Your Dad's a funny guy, L.
Fancies himself a bit of a matchmaker, eh? (winks)
Btw, I still call my Father Daddy, too. Ain't nothin' wrong with that!

Happy Birthday !! Hope you have a great one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym_k8Q-jK9w

Ame said...

happy birthday ... and no use cryin over spilt milk ... or gay and married men ;)

Learner said...

Thank you for the funny video Kathy :)

My Dad is pretty funny. I think the older he gets (he is 84) the more he worries that I'm not married (who is going to take care of you when I am gone?!). When I was a little girl he used to joke with a neighbor, who was from Armenia, that they were going to arrange marriages between me and my sister and the neighbor's two sons who were 5 or so years older than us. It turned out that the younger son, the one "intended" for me, is gay. I sense a theme....

Learner said...

Thanks Ame :) And, aint (or is it ain't?) that the truth!

Elusive Wapiti said...

Happy B-day. Mrs Wapiti's birthday was today.

And she calls her father "daddy" too, so you're in good company.

Learner said...

EW,

Thanks, and a very happy birthday to your Mrs too!

Anonymous said...

There is the unfortunate stereotype that male nurses are gay. Of the ten or so that I know, one is.

Learner said...

Most of the male nurses I know are not gay either. I'm not sure what my dad was basing this supposition on.