Saturday, May 9, 2009

Blogging friends

One of the things that this blog has brought to me, that I did not expect, is new friends. I have found myself rejoicing with others in good things and grieving with them in the bad. In small ways I feel like I know you when I visit your blogs and when you come here and comment too.

I have been blessed to get to know some of you better than that as well through email as well as through telephone calls. Today, I was especially excited to meet one of my readers in person :) She is the reserved sort, so she doesn't comment much. I shall refer to her as The Librarian (Hi!) We met halfway between her home and mine for lunch and a visit.

We spent around three and a half hours visiting and talking about her upcoming move and marriage (first marriage at age 47...there's hope yet!), agreeing that it is a fact that bald men are hot, discovering a mutual interest in science fiction, and puzzling at the "definitions" of the alpha, beta, and gamma "types" (The Librarian hypothesized that perhaps Bill Clinton is an Alpha, Rahm Emanuel a Beta, and Timothy Geithner a Gamma....I was lost.) She is sweet and lovely and funny as heck!

I also discovered another reason to not make the title of my posts "Boobs". This morning, The Librarian attempted to access the email I sent her that contained my cell phone number. But, she was restricted from doing so because the library had a filter that would not allow her to view the email because the subject line was "Boobs" because it was a long string of emails that started with The Librarian's thoughts on my "Boobs" post. Heh

Because I am a much better verbal than written communicator (or I should say normally...The Librarian witnessed the PhD dementia in person) I sometimes wish that we all could have a conversation with each other instead of communicating through written comments. So this was a really great experience for me, and I hope for my new friend The Librarian, too :) Now, if I can only get to Dallas! ;)

Have you ever met a blogging friend in person? How was it?

(Okay, I have had to edit this post at least 5 times already because Blogger is making me nuts! And because I keep remembering other things I want to say)

8 comments:

Ame said...

DALLAS here ya'll come!!!!! Learner and Librarian and ... ummmm ... the one who creates a need for those like ya'll to balance out those like me!!!! hehehehehe

Learner said...

You are next on the list! :)

knightblaster said...

Hi Learner --

I have met online friends before and found it fun! Obviously the first ten seconds is profoundly interesting in terms of assessing someone as they appear in the flesh (men and women alike), but you quickly find they are the same person as you met on the net, and it works pretty well, in my own experience.

Bald men are hot, huh? Hmmm. That meme needs to be spread!

Ame said...

i have become email friends with quite a few blogging friends ... phone friends with a few ... and have met three, if i remember correctly.

one has become my 'adopted mom' and she's incredible. she came for a two-week visit once ... two of the best weeks of my life!

then she and i took a trip to ok and met two more blogging friends ... was perfect!

was planning a trip last summer during which i would have met quite a few more, but it was derailed. can't wait to meet more blogging friends :)

Learner said...

Novaseeker,

I definitely found it a fun experience to meet the Librarian, who was pretty much exactly like she was on the net. However, I once met a guy who ended up being quite different than I thought he would be.

I thought bald men = hot was a universally acknowledged truth :)

Learner said...

Ame,

Happy Mother's Day! Until we can meet, here's a virtual hug for you :)

The Librarian said...

It was so much fun to meet up with Learner - we'd "seen" each other via pics attached to our emails so I recognized her immediately, and I'd read the backfile on the blog so I kind of had an idea of who she was; she, brave soul, had no such information about me! I'd like to thank our mutual friend, SXM, for making the introduction. It was a great time of fellowship (sistership?galship?girlieship?womenship?), and I was astonished to look at my watch after what I thought was about an hour or so, to find that over three hours had gone by. Like any two people meeting for the first time, we found points of agreement (bald men really are hot), some points where we didn't quite see eye to eye (I'm a Canadian and therefore a little left-of-centre at my most conservative), but we've become real-life friends now, and this is such a gift for me. She is a treasure in and of herself!

Learner said...

Hi Librarian,

:D Thanks for commenting!