Saturday, September 6, 2008

Sex in the City

Before last night I had never seen an episode, or even a part of an episode of Sex in the City. When it was on TV I didn’t have HBO and even if I would have had HBO it just wasn’t something I thought I would like. Last night I went to a friend’s house for “girls night”. I discovered we were going to start watching the season 1 DVD of Sex in the City. Not something I would have selected, but hey, it’s not my house. When I told the other girls that I had never seen the show they were all surprised and once again opined about how “sheltered” I am. They also assured me that I would love it and “get addicted”.

So, we watched the first 4 episodes. When my friend eagerly asked for my opinion I said “it’s ok, very predictable….eh.” I actually thought it was awful and sad but I didn’t feel like explaining that. It was just so stuffed with extremely stereotypic behavior and characters that it felt like a boorish caricature of life. You had the androgynous man-hating feminist attorney, the single girl who spends too much money on shoes, the cougar, the gay sidekick, and the “sensitive guy” among others. The men and women pretty much just took turns treating each other badly. My conclusion? If this show had any influence on men and women and how they think about and treat each other it is a great shame.

3 comments:

MarkyMark said...

Learner,

I used to work with women when this show was in its first run on HBO. Let me tell you this: it had more influence on them than you can POSSIBLY understand! Like you, I found this sad, tragic, and lamentable.

Like you, I didn't see this show for years. I'd heard all about it (unless one lived in a cave, you HEARD about that show, believe me), and I had NO DESIRE WHATSOEVER to see this wretched show. I'd seen clips about it elsewhere, and I wasn't impressed. Gee, you have a bunch of women cussing like sailors; that takes talent, brains, and imagination-not!

Anyway, HBO was re-running the episodes one year (I don't know if it was reruns from the previous season, or if they were showing all seasons; I can't remember), so I sat down and watched one or two episodes. Oh, what a mistake! I couldn't see WHAT the fuss was about; I was totally turned off to the show.

I don't date, and I don't have the desire to do so. I find the activity so draining that I no longer find it fun. But, when I was on the market, if a woman was an ardent fan of that show, I wrote her off immediately. I don't care what else she has to offer, how smart she is, how sweet she is, nothing; if she's a fan of that wretched show, then she's not the one for me. She has shown what she really is, and it's not what I was looking for.

MarkyMark

Learner said...

While I didn't think I would like that show I was genuinely surprised how awful it was. Yet another reason why being "sheltered" isn't a bad thing in my book!

Ame said...

i saw a portion of one episode many, many years ago. it's a sick, sick show. good measuring stick, markymark ... i wouldn't want anyone who adored that show, either.