Friday, August 29, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me

Yesterday was my 22nd birthday :)

Not my "real" birthday, but rather the anniversary of the date that I became a Christian. I know that for some people there is no specific date or time that they point to as the moment of their conversion. But, for me, I can definitely pin it down to a specific day and a specific moment. That moment involved a long time friend and her changed life, Stryper (remember them?!), the third chapter of the gospel of John, and 20 years of trying my best to please God on my own and miserably failing.

Thank you, Father, for Your grace and mercy to me, old friends, Christian metal, Your Word, and my failures.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Learner! You surprise me. I have taken you in your writings to be sort of a "church mouse" type .. and you listened to Styper!

.. To hell with devil.....

Jonathan said...

To hell with the devil, baby!

Learner said...

SXM,

LOL, Dude, I am a headbanger from way back! Before Stryper I was a fan of Motley Crue, Def Leppard etc. and went to every metal and hard rock concert that came through my city. I suppose the influence of that on my life was mitigated by being "a good Catholic girl" because most of the "lifestyle" part of it didn't appeal to me, just the music.

If that surprised you, I'm sure there are other factoids about me that might further loosen my "church mouse" image. :) Isn't it funny how we form pictures about people based on what we know about them.

Learner said...

Jonathan,

LOL :)

Ame said...

:)

people always think i grew up in a good, old-fashioned, preacher's-home! the truth couldn't be further from that :)

Learner said...

Ame,
It is interesting I think that few of us are what others assume we are.