Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Year's Find

Every few years I like to read the Bible through in a year because there are just some books (mostly minor prophets like Nahum) I never read otherwise. I thought it was about time to do that again, so I have been searching for my One Year Bible since New Year's. Yesterday when I was searching for it I found this little prayer book that I haven't seen since I lived in Tennessee.



Someone recently asked me about how I came to belief in Christ, I was reminded of this little book and how it fits into that story. So, when I came across it yesterday, I looked at it again instead of putting it aside.

I received it when I was a very small child. I remember looking at this little book while sitting in Mass with my parents, with my mom wearing her lace head covering, and me sitting on the kneeler and facing the pew as though it was a table or desk. There are crayon markings on some of the pages.


You can also tell how old the book is because the priest is still facing the altar with his back to the church during Mass.


The book contains elements of the Mass ....

...and prayers ....


....and "my little rules" :)

I remember being a child and reading this book over and over with a desire to be close to God. I remember being very aware of all of my sins and being fearful that no matter what I did that I would never be good enough on my own to be close to God and "earn" heaven. I remember feeling Pascal's "God shaped hole" and having no idea how to fill it other than being a good Catholic girl and reading my little prayer book.
When I was 20 years old God showed me that I was right, no matter what I did I would never be good enough on my own to be close to God and "earn" heaven. He also showed that God has made a way for us to have fellowship with Him through the forgiveness of our sins by the blood of Christ. After 22 years it continues to amaze me. I thank God for His mercy in showing me this truth.
And, yes, I found my One Year Bible shortly after I found the prayer book. Now, I just have to get caught up!

2 comments:

Ame said...

there is something very precious here, and innocent.

and among the rules, i see God taking something man-made (rules) and still using them for His glory ... which is so heartwarming knowing how fallible i am in my humanity. how good God is to take my imperfections and reach others through them.

Learner said...

how good God is to take my imperfections and reach others through them

Amen Ame