Thursday, February 26, 2009

A freak of nature

Today I received an email invitation to participate in the research project study of a student at another university who wanted to compare the personality types of people in my profession with people in a related profession. Even though I usually find that sort of research question a bit of a waste of time (because, why does it matter?), I consented to participate because my students often solicit others for study participation so I usually try to return the favor. I was directed to click on a link to take a Jung Typology personality test. The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator was based on Jungian psychology, so the personality type results are similar. If you want to take the test (it doesn't take long) you can do so here.

It turns out I am an INFJ (introvert-intuitive-feeling-judging, or a "idealist counselor" according to the Keirsey Personality sorter), like Sidney Poitier and Jordan's Queen Noor (um.....okay). I was not surprised by this. If I had read the descriptions before taking the test I would have thought this type fit me best. What I didn't know was that INFJ is the most rare of the 16 personality types, describing only about 1.5% of people. So, apparently I am an oddity and a freak of nature. "Weird", if you will. (I'll spare you most other things about me that may be outside of the norm....you're welcome)

Since I have been teaching the last 6 years or so I have taken an inordinate amount of pleasure in doing things that may cause some of my students to perceive me as weird. I suggest they may get extra credit for answering in class with a foreign accent. I sing badly and perform even worse dance moves during lectures. I make sound effects when demonstrating hands-on techniques. I make fun of myself and tell stories about my past mistakes. I embrace my intrinsic goofiness. The more they make "oh my word, she is weird" faces at each other or roll their eyes at me, the more it entertains me. I guess I am comfortable with the weird. To me it is normal, average even.

After several discussions I have read on some blogs lately, I have been thinking a lot about perceptions and how they may be influenced by our experience. I'll come back to that in the next several days, but for now I'd love to hear about your thoughts on your experience with personality tests and your results if you care to share them.

6 comments:

Elusive Wapiti said...

Hmm. Seems I am a freak too.

In my youth I was an ESTJ, but I've gravitated more and more strongly toward INFJ over time.

Learner said...

Heh, maybe we should form a club.

I cannot remember what I was when
we took the Myers Briggs in HS.

My feeling preference was not one of my stronger preferences. I seem to drift between thinking and feeling depending on the circumstances.

Ame said...

i am addicted to all kinds of personality tests ... i know i've done this in the past ...will have to come back to this when i have more time :)

Learner said...

Ame, I remember you saying that before:) I wonder if we will be close or not, since we are alike in other ways :)

Anonymous said...

"..even worse dance moves during lectures..."

And you call yourself an educator? ...But then, when my younger co-workers show me what passes for dancing nowadays, maybe they don't notice, or think that is is something cool...

Learner said...

Noseintheair,

:) If I actually did classy dance moves it would not be nearly as fun for me because the students would not find it as goofy. I immitate what I have seen them doing for full comic amusement for me.